Short Skirts, Knee High Boots & Jodie B

October 15, 2009

I grew up in a small country town.
The sort of place that is too big to be quaint and too small to be of any real interest.

Kind of stuck in the middle with very few redeeming qualities from either side. It really is one of those places you pass on the way to somewhere greater.
Unless of course, your into roses. In which case, settle in, take a load off and walk through the award winning rose gardens.
Huh? No, I'm not being sarcastic.
Where I grew up really does have rose gardens, it's the only thing that even allows our litle backwater to make it into any of the tourist handbooks.
They're fantastic and the scene of many important events in my life.
Seeing the bottom of my first bottle of bourbon and the time that....Oh, Hi Mum...Rose gardens? What rose gardens?

I got side tracked again. Sorry!
Like I was saying....

There are a few things you should probably understand about living in a small town if you've never had the pleasure...

1. Everyone knows everyone else.
2. Everyone has an opinion on everyone else - whether grounded in reality or fiction and will most likely have no compunction with sharing said opinion.
3. Never let the truth get in the way of a good gossip.

In my young, impressionable mind our town seemed to be broken into three main female social groups. Nothing like youth for a truly black & white view on things...

The Matrons - Older, upper middle class women who wore pearls, Diana Ferrari flats and were never seen out in public without a full face of makeup. They were on the school, art gallery, council board and just generally stuck their nose in everywhere and everything.

The Mothers - Middle class women who wore trackpants and runners just about everywhere. Very rarely wore makeup and generally look like they are on the way to the footy, gym or to play tennis. Are normally involved in the netball/basketball/ footy club and for some bizarre reason short hair or perms featured heavily.
Every now and then, they may break out their jeans....but only on special occasions and never with heels.

Bronx Warriors - A different social group entirely. Separated from the rest of the town by the freeway, none of the above rules applied.

There is one factor that all three groups have in common. They all snipe about each other!

As an adolescent growing up in this environment it scared the jeepers out of me - because I didn't want to be like any of these women. But there didn't seem to be much else to choose from.....

That is until I met Jodie Brilliant, the complete antithesis of them all.
She wore short skirts, knee high boots and makeup - while pushing her babies' pram down the street.
Jodie always looked funky and fresh and made me realise that you can still be sexy and you even when you are a wife and mother.
She was responsible for the purchase of a short, tartan skirt (and the following world war 3 with my mother) in my teen years because, you guessed it, she used to wear one.

I wonder if I can lay the blame for my shoe obsession there too? What do you think? Doable?

So imagine my suprise and excitement when we crossed paths again - thanks to social networking and the lovely land of Facebook.
I have to admit, I was nervous.
What if this icon of my youth let me down?
What if she wasn't really as cool as I remember her?
What if she had joined ranks with The Mothers?  or ever worse The Matrons... I don't think my poor heart could take it.

Drum roll please........

Meet Jodie Brilliant.
Graphic Designer, Photographer, Artist, Sculptor. Unwitting role model & style icon.



Jodie runs one of my favourite websites Wicked Monkey. An amazing collection of her photography and art work.

I honestly am in love with her creations and I'm waiting to be able to purchase some for my home.

If I didn't have to save up to send my son to university I'd be set. But sadly, sometimes these things have to wait....That reminds me I really need to ask her about layby...

As if she is not already busy enough, working as a graphic designer, she is also creating her own lifestyle magazine, as she realised there was nothing out there  "linking home, lifestyle, arts, music, culture and people with funky, classy, witty, clever content"

I can't wait til it's ready to share with you all!
Did I mention you'll be able to find little old me there too - just in case I don't already ear bash you enough   :-)

So here is a big shout out to unwitting and unaware role models.
After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and I mean that in a strictly non Single White Female kinda way.

Oh, and thankfully, neither of us has joined ranks with The Matrons or The Mothers, although I think I rock my maternity yoga pants with the hole in the knee. Maybe I'll start a new trend.
Grunge Mummy.
Think it'll take off?

Thanks for stopping by
Hugs
Dee


1 comments:

Jodie Brilliant said...

omg Im speechless (yes every now and then this amazing phenomenon does occur, its rare I admit) I will get back to you with said comment in the very near future.....YOU ARE GORGEOUS!!!!!!
xoxoxoxoxox